Monday, August 1, 2011

Philippines Reflections #1

After a two week hiatus, I'm back to blogging! The last month has been a whirlwind of activity. After enjoying a one week mission trip to Guatemala with my lovely wife Glenda, I had the opportunity to visit the Philippines for two weeks to teach in a seminary extension. After returning home from the city of Midsayap on the island of Mindanao, I battled something that I had never experienced before: jet lag!

The Philippines is 13 hours ahead of Central Standard Time, so 6:00 in the evening on a Monday in Memphis equates to 7:00 in the morning on a Tuesday in Midsayap. Needless to say, no intellectual understanding of the concept of jet lag does justice to the tricks that it plays on your body.

One morning when we were in Davao city, I spoke with my family on the phone. I told Josiah that it was Thursday morning for me, while it was Wednesday evening for him. He said, "Dad, that's amazing! You're in the future right now!" Josiah's funny statement reminded me that although we are restricted by time, the Lord is not. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever (Hebrews 13:8).

No comments:

Post a Comment