Monday, August 22, 2011

Car Inspection :(

Today was the dreaded day that I loathe more than almost any other in the year: car inspection day. When the letter comes in the mail instructing me that my renewal sticker must be purchased soon, I lay it on the kitchen counter and intend to have the vehicle examined the following day. When the following day arrives, I put the task off until tomorrow . . . and then the next tomorrow. I follow this pattern until I absolutely can wait no longer. 

Today's car inspection line was moderately long, and I was relieved when it finally was my turn. After several minutes of turning on the windshield wipers, pushing down on the emergency brake, and flipping on both turn signals, the inspector examined the computer system and the output of the exhaust. My relief when the test was over was short-lived because my vehicle failed - - the left brake light was not functioning! I grumbled all the way home, replaced the small bulb, and returned to the inspection place to receive my "pass" paper only to wait in a longer line. The whole ordeal took all of two hours. Although I loathe the car inspection process, I understand it's necessity. Vehicles that are not functioning properly could cause accidents that may injure or kill someone.

As believers, we must inspect our lives much more regularly than once a year. We must determine whether or not we are bearing spiritual fruit not because works save us, but because godly spiritual fruit is an evidence that we truly are believers and that we are walking closely with the Lord.

Some things to search for are: a true love for God, a love for others, a healthy prayer life, an eagerness to gather together with fellow believers in church services, and obedience to the Lord's commands in Scripture. This list contains only a few things that we should examine, but it is a good place to start. Is it time for a spiritual inspection? If so, don't put it off - - today is the day!

43 For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. 44 For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. 45 The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart. (Luke 6:43-45)

No comments:

Post a Comment