Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What is the Gates of Hell?


And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Matt. 16:18 – KJV)

• Satan’s domain?
   ▪ If so, Satan is the ruler of Hell
   ▪ If so, what relationship would the Hell have with the church?

• The Greek word is Hades, which can mean in Greek:
   ▪ The place of the dead (Acts 2:27)
   ▪ Underworld prison where souls await judgment (Lk. 16:23)
   ▪ Personified as following after Death (Rev. 6:8)
             
• The term “Gates of Hades” is used in the OT:
   Be gracious to me, O LORD; See my affliction from 
      those who hate me, You who lift me up from the gates 
      of death.  (Ps. 9:13)
   A writing of Hezekiah king of Judah after his illness 
      and recovery:  I said, "In the middle of my life I am to         
      enter the gates of Sheol; I am to be deprived of the 
      rest of my years."   (Isa. 38:10)

• The meaning of Matthew 16:18 is:
    Death has no power over the church
    ▪ Just as death could not hold Jesus, death cannot hold 
       the church!

No comments:

Post a Comment