Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Of Boomerangs and Believers


Recently I enjoyed a meal at the Blue Plate Cafe. As I perused the menu in search of the perfect breakfast item, I noticed a collection of quotations on the back page. One stood out: "Old boomerangs are hard to throw away." It's just a simple, funny statement, but because I have a considerable imagination, I tried to think of ways that one might get rid of an old boomerang.

Since boomerangs are designed to return to their owners, trying to "throw" them away is of no use - - they just keep coming back over and over again! Essentially, the energy of the one who throws the boomerang works against him or her every single time.

Then it hit me (figuratively speaking) - - the way to get rid of an old boomerang is easy and effortless: drop it to the ground and walk away from it!

This got me to thinking. As a believer, how many times do I attempt to be a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1-2), trying to get rid of the sin and faults in my life by means of my own meager strength? Just like the boomerang, they return over and over again - - my effort is useless. But when I drop my sins and faults at the foot of the cross, relying only on Christ's strength, He changes me and makes it possible for me to live the Christian life. So next time you see a boomerang (which might be more often if you lived in Australia), remember what it and the Christian life has in common!

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. (Galatians 2:20, NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment