Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Believe I Can Touch the Sky!


I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)

In my opinion, the short text found in Philippians 4:13 is one of the most misunderstood and wrongly-applied passages in the New Testament. Often, we treat the verse as a blank check, taking it to mean that God has promised us that we can do whatever we set out minds to do.

Does this mean that if I purpose to play for the NBA team the Memphis Grizzlies that I can expect to be on their roster sooner or later? (Perhaps that is a bad example since often the Grizzlies need all the help that they can get!) Frankly, many believers (myself included) have treated Philippians 4:13 as an R. Kelly song, practically humming the tune “I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky” as they make their plans for the future.

We must consider the verse in context. In Philippians 4:10-23, Paul speaks of God’s provisions. Verses 11-12 summarize the section: Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.

Paul explained that through God’s power, he was able to do whatever God had called him to do regardless of the problems that he experienced in life. In the same way, we can be confident that we are able to do whatever God has called us to do because He empowers us to accomplish His task. What more could we ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment