Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Che


Recently, I finished a 730 page biography about Ernesto “Che” Guevara (1928-1967) in order to gain a better understanding of the Latin American landscape of the last fifty years. Che was an Argentinean Marxist who was instrumental in Fidel Castro’s seizure of Cuba in the late 1950s. His desire was to liberate the poor people of the Americas from their rich oppressors, and he sought to accomplish this purpose through violence. In a letter to his mother, Che explained in unmistakable terms that he despised Christianity and its founder: “I am not Christ or a philanthropist, old lady. I am all of the contrary of a Christ.”

I strongly disagree with virtually every aspect of Che’s philosophy. However, it is clear from a study of his life that he was a principled man in that he was wholeheartedly devoted to his cause. Che explained on multiple occasions that he was willing to give his life for his cause, and ultimately he did just that.

How sad that Che was willing to sacrifice everything for a false and destructive cause, yet many believers are unwilling to give themselves fully to Christ even though His cause is perfectly just and true. May we reject the shallow half-heartedness of nominal Christianity and devote ourselves fully, and irrevocably to the Lord Jesus so that we might effectively build His kingdom through evangelism and discipleship!

But Jesus said to him, "No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62)

If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. (John 12:26)

4 comments:

  1. "he was a principled man in that he was wholeheartedly devoted to his cause."

    So was Stalin, Lenin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Hussein (not Barak Hussein O., the other one), and Bin Ladin.

    Your statement makes it seem that there is something honorable about these men because of their devotion. These men do not deserve to have anything said of them that is remotely positive.

    Just my opinion.

    Rick Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my blog, I use the word "principled" only in the sense that Che lived by his principles In other words, he practiced exactly what he taught.

    My intention was not to attribute anything positive to his life because he was a despicable man who caused the death of millions. Just ask my wife - - during the Salvadoran civil war she hid under a bed as bullets penetrated the walls of her house.

    My point is that he really believed what he taught and lived by it, yet many Christians do not live according to what they say they believe.

    Why should we let a madman be more consistent than us?

    I look forward to seeing you soon in Memphis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even the word "principled" sounds like something positive. I know what you meant though. I'm not worried about Che, he's muerto.

    I likewise am looking forward to seeing you on your turf in Memphis.

    God bless,

    Rick

    ReplyDelete