Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Astigmatism


Years ago, I learned from my eye doctor that I suffer from astigmatism of the left eye. Essentially, what this means is that my eye does not possess the ability to focus sharply on objects, which means that they look rather blurry. My glasses correct this problem, but my contacts offered no remedy until recently.

When I changed eye doctors, the new one advised me that manufacturers now produce contacts that correct astigmatism. I have been wearing these little miracles of modern technology for a month, and I’ve never seen clearer in my life. 

My astigmatism contact has taught me an important life lesson. My left eye needs assistance in order to see things clearly because it cannot do the job on its own. In the same way, we need the help of the indwelling Holy Spirit to understand Scripture correctly. How many people over the centuries have used the Bible incorrectly and led countless people astray because they could not see the meaning of the text clearly? 

In order to understand Scripture in the proper way, a person: 1) must be saved; 2) must be willing to put all preconceived notions aside and let the Bible speak for itself; and 3) ask the Lord to allow His Holy Spirit to provide illumination and understanding. Praise Jesus for sending His Comforter to bring understanding to our lives!

2 comments: