Friday, May 6, 2011

Junk Food


Two years ago, I began to be more health conscious because both sides of my family have a tendency to suffer from heart problems. Over several months, I exercised and watched what I ate, and slowly but surely the excess pounds began to melt away. Last year, I reached my target goal and have kept most of the weight off since.

This month, because of the stress of wrapping up another school year, I have been very, very hungry. I have realized how easy it is to fall back into old eating habits. Unfortunately, I have discovered that reaching my weight goal is not the end of eating healthily, but a life-long process. It is a battle that is fought one day at a time.

If you think that you will reach a point in your Christian walk where you’ll never be tempted, think again! Old habits tend to creep up on us when the least expect it, so we must be careful not to let our guard done. And remember, when temptation came Joseph’s way, he ran (in the opposite direction, not toward the temptation, mind you!). Saying “no” to temptation is a difficult, day-by-day ordeal that only is possible through the power of the Holy Spirit. When temptation tempts you to hunger for sin, don’t eat the devil’s junk food, but the nourishing Bread of Life!

 8Be of sober spirit, be on the alert Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. (1 Peter 5:8-9)

. . . the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation . . . (2 Peter 2:9a)

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment